Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sam the Eagle

I just found out Sam the Eagle died.

No, not the muppet...the English professor who reminded Ingrid and me of Sam the Eagle because of the way he would stare off into space while formulating pithy, but relevant, remarks.
Sam the Eagle was likely to spill coffee on your paper while grading it. Once, when returning a heavily stained 3-pager, he said, "Ann, sorry about the coffee. It doesn't mean I liked it."

Sam the Eagle was in love with Emily Dickinson and would pause while discussing her poetry, as if reminiscing. Ingrid and I calculated that he was actually old enough to have had an affair with her.

My senior year, I wrote my honors thesis on Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses. Sam the Eagle was my seminar advisor. He scolded me for not having enough references. Then he congratulated me on my paper.

He was 84.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

he was a good man. bizarre. but good. wmc will miss him.

10:13 AM  
Blogger unique_stephen said...

For a mo I thought you ment Eddie

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home