Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Why I love Taylor Guitars

I had never heard of Taylor Guitars until right before I went to buy my first acoustic. On a whim, I decided to look up what kind of guitar Dave Matthews plays, and that's how I learned about Taylor.

(yes, I live a sheltered life)

Anyway, I bought my first Taylor a few years ago - a 310 dreadnaught. I started taking lessons on that guitar. It was basic (by Taylor standards), and a little big for me, but it was my baby.

A year or so later, I got "sick birthday pricing" on a Taylor 814-CE from Guitar Center. We have a "guy" at guitar center, or so he would like us to believe. He hooked me up. The 814 is a grand auditorium-style guitar - a little smaller, with the expression system for plugging in. It is also one model below the guitar Dave Matthews plays on stage (the 914-CE). The only difference is that the 914 has a whole lot more decoration, which actually just seems gaudy when you're playing a very small room, like, for example, your living room.

The 814 is beautiful. Everytime Dave and I went to Guitar Center to noodle around, I'd play some other guitars, but I was always going for the 814. Sometimes, I would spot it out of the corner of my eye and think, "That's my next guitar!" And then I realized it was actually my last guitar. And that made me so happy.





Anyway, I was heartbroken when I discovered to not-unsignificant cracks on the back of my guitar. I actually wanted to crawl in a hole an die. Oh, the agony!

At first, I assumed it was my fault, but the cracks were on opposite sides of the center, with one at the top and one at the bottom. My teacher suggested that it could be a defect and that I should call Taylor.

I called Taylor and they agreed to take a look at it. They sent me an empty shipping box to usher it safely back home to California. I sent it off a few weeks ago.

Why do I love Taylor Guitars? Because they just called to let me know that my guitar is on its way back to me, the cracks in the back repaired, and with all new electronics. Seems I had kind of ancient electronics, and they just figured they'd replace them while they were in there.

I love Taylor Guitars.

PS: FOUR days!

2 Comments:

Blogger that girl said...

nerd.

just kidding!

(not really.)

xoxox!

8:53 PM  
Blogger jennifer_starfall said...

so you're going to blog it when you leave for the hospital, right? because i'm obsessively checking...

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home