Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My world...duly rocked.

I don't even know how to start this post.

Samson Gray Selig joined the world on Saturday, March 17 at 9:23 p.m. He weighed 7 pounds 8 ounces and was 20.5 inches long. He is utterly perfect.

When we got to the hospital, the labor and delivery ward was winding down from a very, very busy spell. (They deliver, on average, 30 babies a day at this hospital, so it's always busy). I had to be induced, so we were deposited in triage for five hours where I was put on monitors and given an IV with fluids. Dave and I did crossword puzzles and watched a Steven Segal movie on the portable DVD while we waited.

My blood pressure was going to be a problem throughout labor - it was spiking early. So when they finally moved us to the labor and delivery room, I already knew I was going to be confined to the bed for however long labor would last. They started the pitocin at about 6 pm on Friday.

I started having some bigger contractions, but by 5 am Saturday morning, I was still only 2 1/2 centimeters. Incredibly, the doctor offered me the option of skipping all this and having a c-section. I said, "Um, no thanks."

I was however, pretty wound up and unable to use any of my natural labor techniques because I was confined to the bed, and had to lay on my left side at all times. My whole body ached from being in the same position for hours. I went for the epidural.

I barely remember getting the epidural. I do remember that Dave and the anethesiologist were talking about some other topic the whole time. (That happens a lot. :) ) I found it annoying, but also distracting, in a good way. Dave wanted to watch them put in the epidural, but they wouldn't let him. Getting the meds was weird. It hurt, but it was over quick.

Then, I slept.

Spent most of the rest of the labor in and out of sleep. My parents came over at 1 pm on Saturday to stay with us. My sister was snowed in in Philadelphia, which is just her luck. By 5 pm, I was still only 4 1/2 centimeters. I was on my third shift of hospital workers.

I couldn't really get that much rest because I was throwing up every hour or so from the anethesia and from not eating. They finally gave me some medicine for nausea, and I zonked out just after 5 pm. When I woke up at 8:00, I was suddenly 9 1/2 centimeters! We were ready to push at 8:30.

I thought my parents would excuse themselves to the waiting room, but they stayed put. I was relieved that they stayed. I thought it would be awkward to push the baby out in front of my parents, but that was the LAST thing on my mind.

Took about an hour to get him out. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I ended up with an episiostomy, a decent tear, and a vacuum assist. They plopped him on my stomach and all I could say was, "Oh my god."

Fast forward through the placenta, the stitches, and Ann totally whacked out on medicine.

All in all, I was in labor for about 27 hours. Wow.

So now you want the pictures, and I don't have them off of the camera yet. We were in the hospital for a couple of days, sleeping, eating and learning how to nurse. Got home late yesterday afternoon, and presently I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Thank goodness for Pharmacy Take Away.

Today, Dave and I are taking the boy out for a nice walk and to pick up a few things I thought I wouldn't need, but really really do. (Like a nursing pillow). I will try to get some pics up in the next day or two. Seriously, you won't believe how beautiful he is.

Thanks for all the support!! Love you all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Great story ... ;)
Can't wait for pics.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Leesha said...

yay! So happy for you!
Congratulations 8)

6:44 PM  
Blogger that girl said...

yay!!! baby!!! call me when you're ready for company. i'll bring whatever you want. xoxoxox!

5:23 PM  
Blogger babyoog said...

Um...beer?

jk

1:02 PM  
Blogger unique_stephen said...

Wonderful news, not the stitches, the baby.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Well we brought you beer! Drink up, nursing mama -

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home