Saturday, June 10, 2006

Z is for Zygote

Even though none of our possible name choices start with a Z (or maybe because of that), I have taken to calling my little follicle "Zed." As in, "Hey, Zed, get growing!" and "Only 6 more to go, Zed, and then you'll be big enough to come out and play with Daddy's friends!"

Okay, is that gross? Maybe a little.

Anyway, I am talking to my follicle, and its name is Zed. Nobody seems surprised by this, especially since I talk to myself all the time.

Why Zed? Because Baby X and Baby Y connote sexes, and since my little ovum is sexless (hey, it's biology!), I'm calling it Zed. Also because I really like that line from Shaun of the Dead: "Hey! Don't use the zed word!!"

Seemed appropriate. It was only later that I realized that Z also stands for zygote. And if you don't know what a zygote is, allow me to usher you back to 8th grade sex ed.

So even though I've been blathering about it on my blog, surprisingly few people actually know about all this baby stuff. It's not something I've wanted to talk to client-friends about because I have this idea that they'll freak out when it occurs to them that I might actually go on maternity leave and be unavailable for, like, more than 5 seconds. But somehow, people seem to know. Maybe more people are reading my blog than I think.

For example, my guitar teacher, David, grinned at me throughout my entire lesson, and kept saying things like, "I know why you can't play that scale today," and "That's so cool." (He wasn't talking about my playing. My playing and "that's so cool" never go in the same sentence). If I didn't already think he could read my mind, I'd think that now, because it was just too weird. Dave swears he didn't tell him.

Must be giving off that new mommy smell.

3 Comments:

Blogger that girl said...

hahaha! yes, you are, and it's making me (the staunch "i ain't doin' that poop & baby thing") want one. eww. stop it. you're getting baby juice on me.

okay. that was really gross.

3:13 PM  
Blogger babyoog said...

Baby juice? What the hell? As in "juice of babies?" Ew. DON'T send me the recipe, 'k?

3:15 PM  
Blogger unique_stephen said...

The preparation for baby juice starts off like that of shepherd’s pie: first peal two babies...

that new mommy smell is a misture of reguritated milk and milk going stale in your bra because your leaking.

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home