Friday, May 12, 2006

My name is Ann, and I'm a book-a-holic

They say the first step is to admit you have a problem.

I love to read. Love it love it love it. It is my weakness.

There's something about reading that makes me feel smarter. Whether I'm working on Stephen King or William Faulkner, my synapses seem to fire faster when I'm on a reading kick. This is particularly true when I'm reading fiction, although anything that consists primarily of words on paper is okay with me.

Except for the newspaper. The newspaper is just dumb. I'll get my news from Miles O'Brien, thanks. Because my theory is this: if somebody's got to tell me the world's going to shit, he might as well be cute.

Anyway, as a recovering English major, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I can enjoy reading and that I don't have to apply one of six critical methods to a book to consider it worthwhile. I don't have to write a paper about it, although I could certainly post a thing or two.

And my favs? Well, many of the names you might think of when reading the post of a former English major: Vonnugut, Twain, Faulkner. But my true addictions? I will walk on water to get to a new Michael Crichton book. I'm pretty sure I've read everything he's ever written. Dan Brown - goes without saying. Michael Connelly is a fun suspense writer. Stephen King, even though the endings to his novels are often disappointing and his short-stories usually keep me up for several nights in a row (see Everything's Eventual, esp. "The Road Virus Heads North"). And now, Christopher Moore.

Jen has mentioned Christopher Moore on her blog, I think. Dave discovered him a few months ago and promptly bought every book he could get his hands on. Dave is a relatively slow reader, so it took him a while to get through all the books. He raved. I resisted.

Two nights ago, I was wandering around the house, bored out of my skull, and I picked up Blood Sucking Fiends. I finished it at 12:30 this morning.

Oh crap. Now I'm hooked.

I would love for someone to tell me how to quit my reading habit if it weren't so damn fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger that girl said...

yeah, i'm a CM addict, too. i've got 2 more i have to read and then i can say, "i've read them all!"

which means i'll be impatiently waiting for his next work... whining... griping...

9:29 AM  
Blogger babyoog said...

Did you read A Dirty Job yet? I thought it was coming out soon, but now the site says it's available, at least in hardback. I'm not sure when it came out.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm addicted to Bill Bryson. Just thought I should put that out there on the table since we're all admitting our addictions.

5:43 PM  
Blogger babyoog said...

Looks cool, Laura! I'll have to check him out!

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home