Monday, January 08, 2007

So now we're thinking

I had this whole labor thing figured out. Go to the hospital. Get epidural in the car on the way if possible. Pop out baby. Take a nap. My definition of a good labor was one that was minimally painful. Period.

Then I started learning about the process. Granted, I may have been subjected to some pretty powerful, carefully veiled propaganda at my one-day Lamaze class yesterday, but darn it if it didn't ring true.

The fact is, I don't know one person who has delivered a full-term baby vaginally. Not in the last 10 years, at least. And while my instructor (a certified doula) didn't say this outright, it became clear to me as the day wore on that, once you get to the hospital, you are on the clock. If you don't finish up before they need the room, they are GOING to wheel you into the operating room and cut you open. After all, other couples are waiting.

That may be a little harsh, but with 40% of babies born in the U.S. delivered by c-section, including all the babies of all the mothers I know, I have to wonder about my chances if I go that route.

So now I'm thinking. I'm thinking, "Maybe I can do this natural childbirth thing." I'm thinking, "Wouldn't it be good to try? Especially if it means I'm much more likely to avoid a c-section?" I'm thinking, "I need to look at this."

Dave and I both came away from our class yesterday with the same idea - that we should investigate the birthing center. That we should at least take the tour and see if it's for us. I guess we'll see what happens.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I didn't like my first hospital/epidural birth, so I had my second two at home au naturale. You can read the birth stories on my site in the archives if you're bored. I highly recommend Hypnobirthing. I thought it was crazy sounding but wow, my homebirth with my son was virtually pain free without drugs. I loved it! If I could skip pregnancy and go straight to labor and delivery I'd have twenty kids.

Good luck with your decision!

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh der, my blogger profile doesn't show for some reason. That was me at www.kerflop.com

5:13 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Go to the hospital. Get epidural in the car on the way if possible. Pop out baby. Take a nap.

God, how I wish it were like that...especially the "Take a nap" part.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home