Thursday, July 06, 2006

Okay again

Okay, okay, okay.

I'm okay.

(just keep telling yourself that, kid)

Another blood test this morning. No results yet. It's almost two, so now I'm in "waiting for the phone to ring" mode. Whatever. It's fine. Everything's fine.

We told the kids today. Finally! They were the last to know, I'm afraid. I guess we didn't want them to get psyched up and then get disappointed if something happens, but it was becoming increasingly likely that they would find out from somebody other than us, given all the people I've been telling. It was stressing me out. So we decided we would tell them as soon as Max got back from China.

Oh yeah, my kid was in China. Woah. How cool is that? He doesn't even have his driver's license yet, and he's bargaining with street vendors in Tiennamen Square. He brought me presents. Oh my god, get this:

My adorable, sweet stepson brings me a fabric scroll from China. As I'm unrolling it, he says, "I got the dragon one for you because..." [Dave interjects: "Because she's the dragon lady?"] Max continues, "No. Because the dragon is supposed to be some powerful goddess or something." Seriously, have you ever heard of a 15 year old kid talking like that? To his stepmother?

He also brought me a jade pendant and a keychain of a terra cotta warrior carriage. He's so cool.

Anyway, I showed him how much I loved the scroll by taking down that clock that makes bird noises every hour (loved by me, hated by everyone else who lives here) and replaced it with the scroll.

So....we told the kids. Max was like, "Cool." Then Danny (who is almost 19) says, "Wait - are you serious? Really?" And then he grinned. Then everyone called "Never changing diapers," except me, because I'm dumb about that stuff.

Dave started to tell them about the names we picked out, then Max interrupted with, "Wait one second - here's the deal. You can't name this kid one thing and call him something else. That's all I have to say about it." He said that because his name is Derek Maximilian Selig, but nobody calls him Derek - everyone calls him Max and always has. So I guess he's tired of explaining it. He's funny.

Oh goodie! The nurse just called! My beta levels are even better than expected, so everything really does look fine! Yay!

Okay, back to work.

6 Comments:

Blogger unique_stephen said...

just keep swiming

7:44 PM  
Blogger that girl said...

"I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy!"

12:50 AM  
Blogger that girl said...

(that's it: you're lumpy, and the bean shall be squishy. it's settled.)

12:55 AM  
Blogger unique_stephen said...

- So here I am offering sage words to a questing woman, words artfully chosen to be both meaning full and with a slight humorous entendre to enhance their uplifting intent and .. and.. then you completely dilute it by driving the figurative cultural reference rather than the ... never mind who am I kidding.. Lets all speak whale [I A M T Y P I N G W H A L E]

9:13 AM  
Blogger that girl said...

cool! i'm in! [W H A T D I D Y O U H A V E F O R B R E A K F A S T T O D A Y , L U M P Y ?]

10:33 AM  
Blogger babyoog said...

I don't want to talk about it. I'm not sure it's going to stay in my stomach too much longer.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home